Welcome to the Wandering Drays!

Not all who wander are lost...

Welcome to my blog dedicated to my family and our crazy foreign service life. Never content with staying in one place, we are excited to share our journey. We've survived two unaccompanied tour (Baghdad 2010-2011 and Baghdad again in 2015-2016), multiple TDYs, and enjoyed a two-year family assignment in Cairo, Egypt. The fab hubby is currently learning Turkish for our next assignment...Istanbul, Turkey! We leave for Turkey sometime in summer 2017. I write about what I know. Which is mainly kids, tween drama, gross pets, dealing with lots of government info, our moving adventures, being a nurse, yoga, running, living on too-little sleep, and an addiction to coffee lattes. I hope you'll enjoy this glimpse into our lives.

Friday, March 29, 2013

Abby Turns Eight!

She's always loved the beach.
Ein Soukna, Egypt

Again, it happens.  Time goes by so very quickly, and I didn't really realize it.  But there it is.  Staring me in the face.  

I blink and she’s suddenly a kid and so very tall.  But I remember that tiny, blond-wisp haired baby I so delicately held in my arms.  Such a sweet baby, with big blue dazzling eyes and the most infectious giggles.

I blink and she’s talking.  I blink and she’s singing.  I blink and she’s skipping down the sidewalk on her tippy-toes.  Baseball and American Girl Dolls.  Swimmng and singing solos in her school concert.  Oh, how did she suddenly become so independent?

The best big and little sister alike.  She’s the middlest, so she likes to say, stuck between a stubborn toddler brother and a (somewhat) bossy older brother.  But she can hold her own, and she’s quick with the cutting words that lets you know who’s in charge.  

Incredibly loyal and protective of her friends,  she's kind and generous with the biggest heart.  Thoughtful and precise, she has the amazing ability to see everything that's going on around her --- not just what's in front of her at the moment.  

I miss her so much and I wish I was with her on her special day to celebrate her eighth birthday.  I don’t know where time went, and I know it’s not likely to slow down any time soon...

Happy Bithday to our very beautiful and sweet, smart and independent Abby.  We love you so much and we're so very proud of you.



No so very long ago, she was a toddler who loved the beach.
Long Beach, CA 2009



Loves baseball!


Not afraid to tell you what she's loves about the U.S.A.
Bacon and Taylor Swift.


Always a sweetie.  She thoughtfully emailed me
to let me know that she and her little brother
were having a dance party.  Love this.


On a lunch date in Cairo.
Oh, how I miss her!


    

1 comment:

  1. Oh I know you do! This brought tears to MY eyes I can't even imagine how you're feeling! Thank god for ipads and phones and the internet! Happy Birthday to the big girl! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete