Welcome to the Wandering Drays!

Not all who wander are lost...

Welcome to my blog dedicated to my family and our crazy foreign service life. Never content with staying in one place, we are excited to share our journey. We've survived two unaccompanied tour (Baghdad 2010-2011 and Baghdad again in 2015-2016), multiple TDYs, and enjoyed a two-year family assignment in Cairo, Egypt. The fab hubby is currently learning Turkish for our next assignment...Istanbul, Turkey! We leave for Turkey sometime in summer 2017. I write about what I know. Which is mainly kids, tween drama, gross pets, dealing with lots of government info, our moving adventures, being a nurse, yoga, running, living on too-little sleep, and an addiction to coffee lattes. I hope you'll enjoy this glimpse into our lives.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Waiting to Run

This is my 100th blog post.  And it's only fitting that I do it here, the day before my marathon, in San Francisco.

 Jet lag is so lame.  I defiantly defy sleep.  It's 5am here and I've been up since 2am.

Maybe it's the 9-hour difference from Cairo.

Maybe I'm feeling nervous (24 hours from now I'll be at the start line).

Maybe I just can't sleep.

I've been training since May.  Derailed multiple times by injuries, a super cheeky taxi driver, aggressive dogs, stifling heat, a toddler who quit sleeping through the night.  Self-doubt. I've been beat up, beat down.

But I've also loved many of the moments.  The short runs, the long runs, the failed runs, the ones where I walked more than ran.  And those rare gems -- the runs where I felt like I could fly.  In the past five months, I've run in Colorado, Florida, Ohio, California, and of course, Egypt.  I've burned through three pair of sneakers, five ACE wraps, gallons of water and Gatorade, and logged in more miles than I could keep track of.

So here I am. Waiting to run.  I spent yesterday exploring Union Square, going to the Nike Expo, the Niketown Store, got my hair blondier and bobbier, went to Starbucks, got my rings cleaned at Tiffany's, went to Starbuck again, did some more exploration.

Today I'm going to tour Alcatraz, Sausalito, and Muir Woods.  I'll probably crash early tonight, hoping to get just enough sleep for tomorrow.

Then I'll line up with 25,000 other runner and do my thing.  Run. I won't be the fastest, nor will I be the slowest.  But I will be proud to have run it.  I've been waiting and training for this for a long time.

I certainly won't look anywhere near this awesome when I cross the finish line tomorrow. But I hope this is exactly how I feel:



3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to read the recap and see the FB posts :-). Have FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you should! You WILL look that awesome too! EVEN MORE awesome actually!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are already a winner! Looking forward to hearing about the experience and the triumph of finishing..glad you are getting a bit of pampering in there too!

    ReplyDelete