Welcome to the Wandering Drays!

Not all who wander are lost...

Welcome to my blog dedicated to my family and our crazy foreign service life. Never content with staying in one place, we are excited to share our journey. We've survived two unaccompanied tour (Baghdad 2010-2011 and Baghdad again in 2015-2016), multiple TDYs, and enjoyed a two-year family assignment in Cairo, Egypt. The fab hubby is currently learning Turkish for our next assignment...Istanbul, Turkey! We leave for Turkey sometime in summer 2017. I write about what I know. Which is mainly kids, tween drama, gross pets, dealing with lots of government info, our moving adventures, being a nurse, yoga, running, living on too-little sleep, and an addiction to coffee lattes. I hope you'll enjoy this glimpse into our lives.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

He's The One Turning Nine Years Old...

...so why do I suddenly feel so much older?

Maybe it's because he says things like:

"Mom.  I'm a tween.  You know.  Between being a kid and teen.  That's why I sigh A LOT and stomp my feet."

"Mom.  I can pick out my own outfit."

"Mom.  You don't have to hold my hand!"

Or maybe it's because I can actually trust him to watch his baby brother for a few moments.  And know that neither of them will be [permanently] maimed.

Or maybe it's because he can read his own stories at night, snap his own seatbelt buckle, make his bed, make his breakfast, feed the dogs, and find his way around a computer and the internet better than his Grandma (sorry, Mom!).

I blink oh-so-briefly and he's not little any more.  Where did time go?

What was once this:



Became this...


And this...



And is now doing this on his own...


Successfully building these...



Cheesing it for the camera like this...



 And hanging out with his pooches like this...







Happy 9th Birthday, Owen!  You sure know how to make me feel old.

BUT, as you've already learned, getting older is pretty cool.  



3 comments:

  1. Awwww! Happy Birthday Owen! And what a sweet tribute, Mom :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww so cute! What a great birthday post! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Owen! :)

    ReplyDelete