Welcome to the Wandering Drays!

Not all who wander are lost...

Welcome to my blog dedicated to my family and our crazy foreign service life. Never content with staying in one place, we are excited to share our journey. We've survived two unaccompanied tour (Baghdad 2010-2011 and Baghdad again in 2015-2016), multiple TDYs, and enjoyed a two-year family assignment in Cairo, Egypt. The fab hubby is currently learning Turkish for our next assignment...Istanbul, Turkey! We leave for Turkey sometime in summer 2017. I write about what I know. Which is mainly kids, tween drama, gross pets, dealing with lots of government info, our moving adventures, being a nurse, yoga, running, living on too-little sleep, and an addiction to coffee lattes. I hope you'll enjoy this glimpse into our lives.

Saturday, September 3, 2011

One Last Night

One heinous day of packing our airline luggage, two days of packout, and now I sit in an empty house in Ohio, save for three beautiful children sleeping upstairs. Jason is out enjoying some much-deserved time with some friends; I got to enjoy time with my besties last night. Everything is suddenly real. We are moving. 14 hours to wheels off the ground; our year-long dream of moving to Cairo now a reality. Jason's assignment in Iraq now seems so long ago. He's been home for six weeks and one day.

We'll hit the airport tomorrow with 10 checked bags, 5 carry-ons, and 4 personal bags. A dog, a stroller, a gigantic baby car seat, two kids, one baby. One very excited family.

Both Owen and Abby spent the day with friends, tromping all over our small town. I think they are ready now as well. It's hard saying goodbye, but the lure of adventure is pretty exciting and hopefully makes up for it a little bit.

I'm thankful for our neighbors who helped out so much with the kids today. I didn't have any mouths to feed at lunch or dinner, and they had a blast with their friends. The baby got to spend a special day with his grandparents, and didn't risk any chance of getting packed up or shipped to storage. Whew.

My espresso machine is one its way to Cairo via USPS, as are two baby gates. Here's hoping our UAB arrives as within 2-3 weeks! But no worries, because in our 10 bags, we have enough to get by without more stuff (except groceries) for at least 6 weeks.

Pittsburgh airport hates me - no Starbucks! But we're also traveling through NYC, so fingers crossed they'll be one at the airport there. Otherwise our 5-hour layover will seem even longer.

Just one more day to our arrival in Cairo. I can't say I'm looking forward to the 11 hour final flight, but I am looking forward to our adventure.

6 comments:

  1. This is so exciting! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a safe trip. May the Starbucks force be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh - so exciting!!! SAFE TRAVELS - TODAY!!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Safe travels! I can't wait to hear all about Cairo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Have a safe, smooth trip and can't wait to hear about your Cairo adventures! It's a way fun city!

    ReplyDelete