Welcome to the Wandering Drays!

Not all who wander are lost...

Welcome to my blog dedicated to my family and our crazy foreign service life. Never content with staying in one place, we are excited to share our journey. We've survived two unaccompanied tour (Baghdad 2010-2011 and Baghdad again in 2015-2016), multiple TDYs, and enjoyed a two-year family assignment in Cairo, Egypt. The fab hubby is currently learning Turkish for our next assignment...Istanbul, Turkey! We leave for Turkey sometime in summer 2017. I write about what I know. Which is mainly kids, tween drama, gross pets, dealing with lots of government info, our moving adventures, being a nurse, yoga, running, living on too-little sleep, and an addiction to coffee lattes. I hope you'll enjoy this glimpse into our lives.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Snow Thoughts





I have never liked snow.  It's cold, it's wet, it's miserable.  Pretty?  Yes.  Creates a serene environment?  Sure.  Terrible to drive in?  Absolutely. There's an auto insurance commercial on TV that features a car fishtailing in slushy conditions with classical music playing in the background.  Makes me want to crawl out of my skin every time I see it; whoever made that commercial is a sick, sick person.

Toss me in a desert climate and I'm happy.  I'll take 115 degrees over 20 degrees anytime.  Even better send me to Southern California.  Warm, wonderful, perfect running conditions year round.  I don't need snow to enjoy Christmas.  I'm far happier at the beach.  Santa can come along with me in his swimsuit.  I'll enjoy a latte and go for a run.  The year we spent in Los Angeles was one of the best of my life.

Actually, my anger at the snow (and Ohio in general) is probably more related to running than anything else.  I am a fair-weather runner.  Optimal running temperatures range from 70 - 110 degrees for me.  In Ohio, that means I can run for like 2 1/2 months out of the year. During my OBLC (Officer's Basic) training for the Army Reserves in summer 2008 it was 115 degrees in San Antonio, TX.  Every afternoon, whenever possible, I would run with my M16 around the FOB, clocking in 4 or 5 miles a day.  Ignore the military lingo and just try to image me with rifle strapped to my back in 100+ degrees.  Sounds terrible to you?  It was great for me.

Running is my ultimate stress-relief.  And I am stressed here.  Newborn in tow, two older kids, trying to fit my job as an RN (my 'adult' time) back in...and a husband in Iraq.  Not the ideal situation.  But, it is what it is, and I deal with it as best as I can.  There is something like 8 inches of snow outside now, it's 17 degrees, more snow is pouring down, and I want nothing else right now than to lace up my sneakers and go for a heartfelt run.  Slip on my iPod and zone out in my music.  In Los Angeles, I'd do this everyday - grab a latte from my favorite Starbucks, park my car along the shore and just...run.  Feel the sun on my face; smell the ocean air.  Here in Ohio?  I'm lucky to get a run in every couple of weeks.  And the view?  Not as wonderful as my 10 miles of shore I used to pound pavement on.  I don't need the view though if the weather were only acceptable for running!  A treadmill doesn't cut it.  I don't feel like I'm going anywhere.

Deep breath.

Putting this all aside, I know I am lucky.  I have a strong marriage, beautiful children, family, a great (and flexible) career, and an adventurous lifestyle.  I have friends who check on me pretty much daily and I get to work with them as well.  My husband is gone right now, but we get to see him again soon (February!) and we'll be 1/2 way through this agonizing separation.  And as much as I complain incessantly about the cold here, we have roots in Ohio that we will remain forever connected to.  When we leave for Cairo (!!!!) at the end of next summer, I will miss it here.  My friends and family - I will miss them so much.

The kiddos reminded me today how much fun snow can actually be.  Snowball fights, snow forts, snow angels.  I may not be able to run right at at this moment, but I will get to run again.  Until then, I continue to try to live in the now, in the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment