Welcome to the Wandering Drays!

Not all who wander are lost...

Welcome to my blog dedicated to my family and our crazy foreign service life. Never content with staying in one place, we are excited to share our journey. We've survived two unaccompanied tour (Baghdad 2010-2011 and Baghdad again in 2015-2016), multiple TDYs, and enjoyed a two-year family assignment in Cairo, Egypt. The fab hubby is currently learning Turkish for our next assignment...Istanbul, Turkey! We leave for Turkey sometime in summer 2017. I write about what I know. Which is mainly kids, tween drama, gross pets, dealing with lots of government info, our moving adventures, being a nurse, yoga, running, living on too-little sleep, and an addiction to coffee lattes. I hope you'll enjoy this glimpse into our lives.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

I'm Still Here! I Swear!

Keeping busy with my Starbucks.
In my mind, I've written dozens of blog posts in the past month since I last published.  Funny, witty, and thought-provoking posts, of course.

But what I've written in reality is...nada.  Zip.  Zilch.  Nothing.

Part of it is because I'm actually really busy, even without kids to be chasing after.  Since I arrived in Los Angeles in February, I've worked no fewer than 60 hours per week. Every.Single.Week.  [Which translates into $$$$.  Which translates into easier living for our family in uber-expensive DC when we move in August!] Even the week I ran a 1/2 Marathon!  Oh, except for the week I had the dental work.  I *only* worked 48 hours that week.

Anyway, I work 12-hour shifts and I'm on my feet pretty much the entire time -- it's exhausting.  No complaints though; I really do love what I do.  The ER is my home away from home and my work is fulfilling.  I mean, heck, I save lives for a living!  It's an intimate job, being able to touch lives the way we do in the ER - people come in at their worst and most scared moments in life.  I've never regretted changing careers to become a nurse.  But it can be physically and mentally taxing, and I've put writing on the back burner for a bit.

Part of my writing slump is because I'm enjoying the sunshine.  Really.  It's 70-80 degrees and sunny here.  Every.Single.Day.  And since I'm working nightshifts right now, I get lots of daylight hours when I'm not at work.  Before I head into the ER every night, I like to walk the fav pooch all over Long Beach.  She's renowned throughout the neighborhood - at Starbucks and at the local pet store.  I go to yoga.  I run at the beach.  I ride my new bike.

That's right.  I bought a bike!  And I loooove it.  Running had been difficult the past few months; I injured my right foot and my knees and hips were heinously angry at me.  ARE angry at me.  The arthritis screams at me every time I pound the pavement.

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love running.  It's how I like to see the world.  But running doesn't come easy for me, and I needed to change things up a bit.  A quick trip to the local bikeshop around the corner and I was mobile!  And *begrudgingly* I admit that I love it.

True story.  I bought a bike.  And I looove it.

But!! Please don't jump to incorrect conclusions - I am NOT giving up running.  I've just realized (well, accepted) that I need to do more to keep my joints and my body healthy.  Yoga helps.  Biking helps.  I'm keeping my arthritits in check.  (And I hate saying "my" arthritis - but I guess it's better that I own it than it owns me.)

Missing my family?  Yup.  And that also contributes to the lag in blogging.  It's emotional, writing. Honestly, sometimes, it's just too heartbreaking to write.  And I tire of languishing over the sadness of missing my family.  Worrying about the kiddos and how well they're handling my absence.  Riding the roller coaster of emotions.  Yuck.  So I keep busy and avoid those thoughts.  Which translates back into my focus on working, running, biking, and yoga.

I'm busy getting that list of 'to do' done before we transition to our new home. WHICH IS ONLY TWO MONTHS AWAY!!

I've successfully renewed all of my required RN certifications.  *Pat on back.*

My Army Reserves annual training is this close to being officially scheduled.

One more appointment with my rheumatologist.  A scheduled appointment with my dermatologist.  And my annual military physical.  Check. Check. Check.

So, yeah.  I'm still here along with my blog; I swear!  I've just been a little bit quiet.  And for good reasons.



Here's a photo update on what's been going on with the Drays this past month...

The fab hubby took Owen to Istanbul for a weekend.  These dudes are so lucky!
Owen in Istanbul.
Ice cream is fabulous no matter where in the world you are eating it!  Istanbul.


Abby didn't go to Istanbul; she partied with some friends that weekend instead!

Kellen can still fall asleep absolutely anywhere.  Oh to be a toddler!

Sweet sleeping toddler.  I love getting pictures like these.
I ran a 1/2 Marathon with the coolest running bib ever.

Just before the race began.



Yum.  Post-race celebration!
Nice reminder.
I biked 22 coastal miles today.  The view in Sunset Beach.
Just a fab moment with my bike and my BFF Espresso Frap.

New iPad Minis for the big kids. Because The Toddler broke the other ones.










1 comment:

  1. I have been wondering about you -- YAY for biking and for all your accomplishments these past weeks!!! I admire you for all that, but most of all for your dedication and calling to being an ER nurse. Enjoy those espresso fraps - you have earned them above and beyond!

    ReplyDelete