Welcome to the Wandering Drays!

Not all who wander are lost...

Welcome to my blog dedicated to my family and our crazy foreign service life. Never content with staying in one place, we are excited to share our journey. We've survived two unaccompanied tour (Baghdad 2010-2011 and Baghdad again in 2015-2016), multiple TDYs, and enjoyed a two-year family assignment in Cairo, Egypt. The fab hubby is currently learning Turkish for our next assignment...Istanbul, Turkey! We leave for Turkey sometime in summer 2017. I write about what I know. Which is mainly kids, tween drama, gross pets, dealing with lots of government info, our moving adventures, being a nurse, yoga, running, living on too-little sleep, and an addiction to coffee lattes. I hope you'll enjoy this glimpse into our lives.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Perspective

I like it here in Cairo, but I worry. A lot. I worry about crossing the street with the crazy traffic; I worry about the kids adjusting to school; I worry about my new job; I worry about not being able to communicate my food order at a restaurant; I worry I'll never feel comfortable running in this city.

But all of this seems insignificant right now.

I actually don't know her; in fact, before this past week, I'd never even read her blog.  But my friend Jill knows her, and asked that we say a prayer for Anna.

Anna at An Inch of Gray lost her 12-year old son in the flooding in Virgina last week.  I can't even fathom the depths of her pain right now.  No one should ever have to suffer the loss of a child.  It tears at my heart.  I am so lucky to have my children here, right now, in this massive city with all my small and insignificant worries.  Nothing else matters but my family.

Please take a moment today to be thankful for what we have - bring it into perspective.  It can all be lost so quickly.  And then take a few moments to say a prayer for Anna and her family.  Every prayer, every kind thought, every one of them counts.  I hope our prayers will help to bring her peace and comfort.

6 comments:

  1. I want so much to think tat our prayers will help. I need to believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't even begin to imagine it happening to anyone ... let alone a FRIEND'S son. It makes me ill ...

    Thank you for thinking of her. For me. For her. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine either. But I love and hope that if I were in Anna's shoes, I would feel the upsurge of love coming from the blogging community. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do know Anna, and I still can't believe this happened to her. Not that anyone, ever, deserves to lose a child. But she is such a good, kind person...thank you for thinking of her. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your prayers mean so much to them. And yes - you have to take these moments as a reminder to appreciate "this one more day" with our families. Each one is a gift.

    ReplyDelete