Welcome to the Wandering Drays!

Not all who wander are lost...

Welcome to my blog dedicated to my family and our crazy foreign service life. Never content with staying in one place, we are excited to share our journey. We've survived two unaccompanied tour (Baghdad 2010-2011 and Baghdad again in 2015-2016), multiple TDYs, and enjoyed a two-year family assignment in Cairo, Egypt. The fab hubby is currently learning Turkish for our next assignment...Istanbul, Turkey! We leave for Turkey sometime in summer 2017. I write about what I know. Which is mainly kids, tween drama, gross pets, dealing with lots of government info, our moving adventures, being a nurse, yoga, running, living on too-little sleep, and an addiction to coffee lattes. I hope you'll enjoy this glimpse into our lives.

Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Different Journey

All I'm waiting for are my uniforms to finish in the dryer.
Whenever I tell someone that my husband is in Baghdad, they typically assume that he serves in the military.  Well, he doesn't work for the military; he works for the foreign service.  I, however, serve as an officer with the U.S. Army Reserves.  This wacky set-up is always fun to explain.  Anyway, two weeks each year I travel to an Army base and perform my duties as a nurse at the base hospital.  Last year's annual training was at Ft. Bragg, NC.  This year I'm attached to Ft. Carson, CO.

Jason and I actually met in the Army - years ago (1997) when we were both enlisted as MP's in a unit in Austintown, OH.  That was so long ago - back when the uniform was referred to as BDU's and we had to button everything up and starch our uniforms, shine our black leather boots, and our gear hung off of an incredibly uncomfortable web belt.  Now the uniforms are called ACU's, require no starch, the pattern is a digitized camouflage, the boots are an easily maintained tan suede/leather, and MOLLE gear has replaced the web belt.

We've long since left that MP unit.  Jason finished his assignment and opted not to reenlist.  I did the same; however, after finishing my BSN years later, I decided to return to my Army roots as an RN.  Tomorrow I'll board a plane in Pittsburgh and head out to Colorado Springs, CO to report for duty.

I've spent the entire day packing the kiddos' stuff for what they'll need at their grandparent's house for the next two weeks.  I have literally done ten loads of laundry - Kellen's sickness this week got in the way of getting anything done.  Plus he barfed so much on everything that practically his entire wardrobe needed washed.  My uniforms are in the the dryer; I have multiple copies of my orders; I've got most everything packed.

Kids have been kissed goodnight and Daddy got to call to tuck them in - their favorite.  Kellen has made a miraculous turn-around.  He's still sick but has made enough improvement that I'm no longer fretting about going for training.  And the kids have already given me their wish list for items from the PX.

I'm excited for this trip; I'd even call it a working vacation.  I've never been to Colorado and the area looks beautiful in pictures.  I can't wait to see it up close.  And I'm excited to work in the military hospital and give my time and nursing skills to the Army.  I'm hoping to get assigned to the ER again this year.

Pictures will post throughout the week.  For now, here are the muchkins who are fast asleep.  I snuck in to steal one last smooch from each, since I won't get to see them again before I leave in the morning.

See Owen's sweet little red cheek?  He was out at the ball fields
all day with his buddies...playing baseball, trading
Pokemon cards, and bike riding.  My sweet sunburned boy.

Abby and her sleep mask.  It matches her jammies.
Good stuff.

Finally.  After a week of sick, sick, and more sick.  He's starting
to make a solid recovery.  Sleep tight, little man.

2 comments:

  1. Have a safe trip. I'm so glad your little guy is getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a wonderful time away ... to do heart warming work ... AND have a little bit of time to yourself!

    Come back refreshed and excited to see your hubby once more...

    So happy little guy is feeling better! Whew!

    ReplyDelete