Welcome to the Wandering Drays!

Not all who wander are lost...

Welcome to my blog dedicated to my family and our crazy foreign service life. Never content with staying in one place, we are excited to share our journey. We've survived two unaccompanied tour (Baghdad 2010-2011 and Baghdad again in 2015-2016), multiple TDYs, and enjoyed a two-year family assignment in Cairo, Egypt. The fab hubby is currently learning Turkish for our next assignment...Istanbul, Turkey! We leave for Turkey sometime in summer 2017. I write about what I know. Which is mainly kids, tween drama, gross pets, dealing with lots of government info, our moving adventures, being a nurse, yoga, running, living on too-little sleep, and an addiction to coffee lattes. I hope you'll enjoy this glimpse into our lives.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Getting My Mojo Back

What's a workout program without
a new snarky workout shirt?

Kellen is 4 1/2 months old this week.  I know I shouldn't use his age my personal guideline for when-Heather-should-be-back-in-shape, but I do.  My goal for the weight loss (I gained 38 pounds with this pregnancy) was to lose it all by the time he turned 4 months.  I have lost 35 pounds and all my clothes fit.  So I'm happy with the weight issue.  But despite the weight loss, the bod is well...different. Softer.  Rounder.  Maybe even *gasp* saggier.

I am now at the point postpartum that it's time to work on the toning and the tightening.  I don't have $20K to nip and tuck the easy way, so it must be done the old fashioned way.  Diet and Exercise.  Truthfully, beyond the physical results I desire, I really do need to do it to improve my overall health.

San Pedro (LA Harbor area) 2009
Where I used to do my daily running.
The year we spent in Los Angeles  (AKA The Mecca of Sunshine and Incredibly Fit People), was the healthiest I've ever been.  I ran regularly - 5 days per week, 4-10 miles each time.  I'd grab an iced soy latte on the way to the shore, drink about 1/4 of it and save the rest for the end of the run.  Kids were in school (and we had an au pair to help - miss you, Jenny!), no baby at the time, and I didn't have to be at work until 11AM.  Fresh produce was in abundance, and we had a nice sushi place around the corner from our condo to grab some great on-the-go food (not that I'd grab sushi - I don't like it, Jason does - but I do love a good Bento Box lunch with teriyaki chicken or steak).  Even dessert was healthier (I miss you, Pinkberry frozen yogurt!).

Fast-forward to this year.  Cold Ohio, baby in tow, kids on my own.  I fear I can barely squeeze in 30 minutes of workout, let alone an hour!  Restaurants in the area focus on the fried - French fries (yum), fried chicken (yum), chicken wings (yum).  Pizza (yum), burgers (yum) heavy Italian foods/pasta meals (yum), fast food (yes, yum), giant portions (not so yum).  It's easy to see that with the weather (9 months of winter, slush and rain with perpetual overcast skies year-round) and the above combo of food choices how easy it is to live the unhealthy lifestyle.  I used to live it, and I don't want to slip back into those shoes.  Or clothes for that matter.

2009. Santa Monica.  #479.
Yes, My shirt says "I heart LA".
So here I am.  Preparing to once again 'get in shape.'  I hate that phrase.  It insinuates that I am not in shape at the moment.  That is going a bit far.  I do have a shape, just it's a bit more jiggly than I am comfortable with.  And I've lost a lot of my core strength I had once worked up with a year of hot yoga.  My back hurts, my shoulders ache, and my neck is constantly on fire.  I don't just want to 'get in shape' - I also want to improve my overall health.

If there is ANYTHING that nursing has taught me, it's that quality of life is usually directly related to overall health.  And taking it a step further, I intend to enjoy working out - no matter what form of exercise it is.  I may not be able to do my daily 5-miles run (yet), but I have options and I intend to enjoy them.  Even when Ohio is over (August) and Cairo begins - I don't know if I'll be able to find the time I'd like to dedicate to running. (But I am looking forward to joining the Cairo-area Hash House Harriers!)  Time to branch out.

My new workout buddy.
In my living room.
While it might be a little late in the year to post out New Year's Resolutions, it's never to late to start a healthier lifestyle.  Come join me.  I've added the Daily Mile widget to my blog (thanks, Jen!) and you can join and post your workouts as well.  Walk, run, elliptical, swim, dance, bike. Whatever works for you simply works.  Check out my new workout intention to the right...


Update 3/5/11:
I've had a lot of questions about what elliptical I am using, and whether or not I recommend it.  I purchased it at amazon.com (free shipping, directly to my porch!) --- the Schwinn A40 Elliptical.  It was roughly $400 (I figured this to be the equivalent to 8 months of a gym membership - at the time I ordered it, the number of months we had left in Ohio!), no tax!  My dad put it together; said it was a bit of a pain in the A**, but not impossible.  It took him less than 2 hours.  The only blip is that the box had two right legs to it.  I called customer service and they shipped me a replacement part and it arrived less than 3 days later.  The machine has a small footpath (our living room is 20' x 15' and it doesn't take up much space), easy to use, and quiet.  I'd say it was a great purchase.    Another option of course is Craig's List (my friend Karen is a junkie - she's ALWAYS finding a great steal on Craig's List!), but wasn't an option for me - I had no vehicle to pick up a used machine!

Anyway, here is a list to the machine I bought.  Happy workout!  



No comments:

Post a Comment